328 Meeting Street
Organized as an outgrowth of the First (Scots) Presbyterian Church, this congregation attracted a new generation of Scottish merchants who planned an ambitious building, which was then outside of the boundaries of the city.
328 Meeting Street
The first spire of this Romanesque Revival style church was toppled by a hurricane in 1885 and the second by Hurricane Hugo in 1989. In 1990, a new steeple was raised which matched the 224-foot height of the first.
110 Calhoun Street
Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church is the oldest AME church in the south. It is referred to as "Mother Emanuel". Emanuel has one of the largest and oldest black congregations south of Baltimore, MD.
273 Meeting Street
Perhaps the least altered of Charleston’s late-Greek Revival church buildings, this imposing structure presents a monumental Corinthian-columned portico and massive dual flight of stone steps. In 1926, the Trinity Methodist congregation purchased the building from Westminster Presbyterian Church.
90 Hasell Street
Founded in 1749, this became the first Reform Jewish congregation in the United States in 1841, and is the fourth oldest Jewish congregation in the continental United States. The current sanctuary, c. 1840, is a National Historic Landmark. It has been described as one of the most impressive examples of Greek Revival architecture in America.
89 Hasell Street
This building is the third church on the site and houses the first Roman Catholic congregation established in the Carolinas and Georgia. The group purchased the site about the time the congregation was incorporated by the South Carolina Legislature in 1791.
150 Meeting Street
Founded in 1681, Circular Church is one of the oldest continuously worshipping congregations in the Southeast. Today, it has over 300 members and is affiliated with the United Church of Christ.
Hours of Operation
Tours, M-F at 10:30
142 Church Street
Established in 1680, St. Philip’s is a center of vibrant worship seeking to live out its mission statement of building up the Body for the work of the Gospel. All visitors are welcome.
140 Church Street
This church was designed by renowned Charleston architect Edward Brickell Wright for the oldest continuously active Huguenot congregation in the United States, organized in 1687. Each year, a service is conducted in French commemorating the Edict of Nantes.
71 Broad Street
St. Michael’s Church has long been considered one of America’s most sophisticated colonial church buildings. Edward Rutledge, signer of the Declaration of Independence, and Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, signer of the U.S. Constitution, are buried in the graveyard.
53 Meeting Street
First Scots is one of the oldest ecclesiastical buildings in the city and its churchyard contains over fifty 18th century gravestones. Ties to the Church of Scotland are exemplified by the stained glass window depicting its seal.
61 Church Street
First Baptist Church, Charleston, the earliest Baptist church in the South was organized on September 25, 1682 in Kittery, Maine, under the sponsorship of the First Baptist Church of Boston. Late in 1696, the pastor William Screven, and 28 members of the Kittery congregation immigrated to Charleston, South Carolina.